Thursday, October 23, 2014

Living in Faith: Creating a space mid-week

Last night seven of us gathered in the chapel of Christ Church as the wind and rain could be heard outside. 'Living in Faith' is the name of the time and place we have given to Wednesday nights between 7-8 p.m. (we begin and end at the hour). It is an intentional time for quiet (we enter in silence up to 15 minutes before, with chanting music often playing in the background). We try to not to visit and chat too much at first, but we acknowledge one's arrival and welcome them. Those who are nearby reading this blog are welcome to join us anytime. 

We begin our time with simple centering prayer.  Becoming aware of our bodies, minds and breath. The book we use is merely a guide for reflection and conversation. This not a book study. Most evenings we end with the ancient monastic service of Compline in our Book of Common Prayer.  

I believe we as a church are at a critical point when people are needing to find new places to explore preconceived notions and inherited beliefs handed down to them. What is it that I believe? Right now. After all I have seen and done in this life? 

We are doing the basics of Christian discipleship: we are learning and relearning how to pray. How to pray together. 

One of the prayers we shared with one another last week was this, written by Dietrich Bonhoeffer while awaiting execution in a Nazi prison:

In me there is darkness,
But with you there is light;
I am lonely, but you do not leave me;
I am feeble in heart, but with you there is help,
I am restless, but with you there is peace.
I me there is bitterness, but with you there is patience;
I do not understand your ways, 
But you know the way for me.

Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment