Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Christmas Approaches

This Advent I made a promise to myself: enjoy the season. That should be a given, right? Yet clergy can get pulled into the pre-holiday haze like everyone else. 

I did better at paying attention to small things. I actually listened to Christmas music on the radio driving into church each  morning. Most of it is so nostalgic and overly sappy that it transports us back to the 1940's and 50's of our pasts and imaginations. I sang along -- which I never do! -- and allowed myself to get almost misty (almost) about those who have passed away and shaped my Christmas experiences as a child. My parents. My grandparents, including my beloved crusty, chain smoking foul mouthed, extremely generous, potato pancake making grandmother who died on Christmas morning in 1988. I miss them and try to carry on some of the family traditions during these days: setting up the creche, serving Polish kielbasa and coffee cake on Christmas morning. 

I joined others at the Christmas tree lighting in Exeter this year. I had not known last year what a big deal it was. I waited with others to see Santa and Mrs. Claus ride in by train and sang along as the lights came on. Nice full moon night in Exeter where I saw many from Christ Church and became even more thankful for this community. 

Caroling. Sarah Watts and I gathered 30+ people to carol last Friday to sing to some folks we don't get to see in church as much as they would like. For some of the children with us it was their first time caroling -- outside of people's homes with snow falling -- in their lives. I hope it becomes a lasting memory.

I won't mention the butter cookies and the eggnog: seems like I never fail to enjoy that annual feast in my home. The New Year with my self imposed self-righeous austerity will come soon enough!

We are again living in a weary world with much to bring us down that is broadcast to us each hour and minute. Yet as the darkest day of the year approaches this week, the light is the object of our hope. 

Continue to wait. And enjoy this season before it rushes by.  I am. 


No comments:

Post a Comment