Wednesday, March 12, 2014

A Son's Poem


Judy Wilson in Hartford Thanksgiving Day 2007


The Cane

I saw your cane near the door in the umbrella stand
                                                                                         sticking out
reminding me that you were here.

I had not thought of you that day, or for the last week for that matter. 
Is that bad?
Or has life moved on – with and without you?

That cane with the jaguar print was your style statement.
You leaned on it in your last years.
Style.

Where are you mom?
With God? Lord I hope.
With me and us? Yes, still.

Three years have gone by since you left us. You live on still.
In beaches. In noodles. In worry -- mine mostly.  
And when I arrive too early for a departing flight.

I saw your cane.
Do you see me?


No comments:

Post a Comment