Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Is Facebook the new 1960’s version of the dreaded vacation slideshow?


I am old enough to remember the ritual of setting up a carousel slide projector in the living room, along with the three legged screen that was always dangerous to put up lest you lose a finger in the process, and sitting on the floor to watch the latest pictures from some relative’s travels. This was definitely pre-HD and big screen TV era when it seems that projecting anything on a large screen was exciting -- no matter how boring the pictures of the Florida vacation from your next door neighbor were.

On a recent trip to Germany I found myself enjoying trying out the camera on my new iPad, ditching a “normal” camera, and then posting many of the pictures that same day on my Facebook page: pictures in front of the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin, a shot of my delivering a report at the Community of Cross of Nails gathering in central Germany, gorgeous landscapes of vineyards with Riesling grapes along the meandering Mosel River, and the bustling streets of modern Dusseldorf.  And food. Why did I have such a desire to take pictures of each pretzel I ate, the best potato pancake I’ve ever eaten besides my own, and the incredible pastries on every corner? I have become my teenage daughter who Instagrams each piece of sushi she eats!

Well, in the end, I suppose that I find this practice of virtual vacation sharing simply -- fun. Isn’t that enough?  It does seem to be a way to take others along with you on a journey. And I’m good with that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment