Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Turning 50


From the Rector
The Eve of Turning 50 

In two days I turn 50 years old.  Yes, the “BIG 5-0.” On May 10, 1963 I was born in The Christ Hospital in Cincinnati, Ohio to Judy and Bruce Pendleton. My older sister by one year Terri greeted me at home, and my younger sister Mindy came along two years later. My parents are no longer with us, having passed away three years ago, but I as turn a half-century in years, I cannot help but think of them. Yet I will celebrate the fullness of the day with my wife, son and daughter and a few good friends in Hartford over a good meal.   

One of my favorite writers Frederick Buechner wrote this about life:

If I were called upon to state in a few words the essence of everything I was trying to say both as a novelist and as a preacher it would be something like this: Listen to your life. See it for the fathomless mystery that it is. In the boredom and pain of it no less than in the excitement and gladness: touch, taste, smell your way to the holy and hidden heart of it because in the last analysis all moments are key moments, and life itself is grace.” 

So as I hit the mid-century mark tomorrow, I will be listening to my life as I drive to Hartford from upstate New York after picking my son up from college. I will listen to the faces of the people who shaped me. I will remember the sounds of my parents and savor the great tasting Polish noodles and potato pancakes of my grandmother. I will hear again to the places in the world I have visited and the people I have met along they way. I will return to that beach in South America when Christ grabbed me by the mystical arm and I heard so clearly and so surprisingly: “I want you to follow me and be ordained in my church.”  I will see to the people of prayer in whose parishes I have served in my 22 years of ministry.  

Buechner is right: all moments are key moments, and life itself is grace. 

Peace,

Mark B. Pendleton 

No comments:

Post a Comment